The ASPPH Academic Public Health Leadership Institute (APHLI) is a year-long, cohort-based program focused on the unique challenges of ASPPH-member deans and program directors.
The ASPPH APHLI, designed in collaboration with the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL), a global leader in executive education, draws on decades of experience in developing top leaders in academia and public health.
The 2019-2020 Academic Public Health Leadership Institute is specifically designed for deans or program directors of ASPPH-member schools and programs who have been in the role of dean or program director less than five years, and are able to commit to the year-long Leadership Institute.
ASPPH anticipates offering future program cohorts for deans and program directors with more than five years experience in the role of dean or program director, as well as those aspiring to academic public health leadership – the next generation of deans and program directors.
Personalized Leadership Development Experience
APHLI scholars will work closely with experienced faculty from CCL, peers, and thought leaders in the field to address challenges such as these through
- Targeted pre-work to prepare APHLI scholars to engage fully in each session and to learn about themselves
- Rigorous in-class experiences designed to deepen knowledge, to create space to practice burgeoning skills, and to learn with and from peers
- Executive coaching to enhance application of learning beyond the APHLI experience
Throughout the year, APHLI Scholars will engage in engage in active learning experiences focused on deepening content knowledge and strengthening competencies, as well as have the opportunity to develop a network of trusted peers for ongoing collaboration.
The Program includes both in-person and virtual components:
Virtual Orientation Session – June 11, 2019
- Introduction to program faculty, other Leadership Institute scholars, and program components.
Program Kickoff – July 23, 2019 | Loews Coronado Bay Resort, Coronado, CA
- Full day session held in conjunction with the 2019 ASPPH Leadership Retreat.
- APHLI Scholars will learn the foundational Direction, Alignment, Commitment (DAC) model of leadership and how that model and accompanying tools can inform leadership challenges such as shared governance. In addition, the session introduces strategies for building resilience that will be woven throughout the APHLI.
Intensive Retreat – January 22-24, 2020 | Colorado Springs, CO
- Three-day retreat to gain a clear view of your impact on your school or program, develop a deeper understanding of your leadership relative to other academic leaders, and be introduced to the concepts of Polarity Thinking.
- APHLI scholars will complete the customized Academic Public Health Leaders 360 Assessment. This will help them to gain a clear view of their impact on their school or program and gain a deeper understanding of their leadership relative to other academic leaders. APHLI scholars will also meet with their executive coach. The session will close with an interactive panel discussion featuring academic public health thought leaders followed by small group discussions with the through leader’s input on key leadership challenges.
Final Program Session – July 21, 2020 | Location to be announced
- Full day session held in conjunction with the 2020 ASPPH Leadership Retreat.
- Explore boundary-spanning leadership approaches, strategies, and actionable tactics to foster collaboration and innovation.
- Throughout the year, APHLI scholars will follow their individualized development plan, meet with their executive coaches, and have access to on-demand leadership resources including webinars and a library of courses, books, articles, and tools.
How will APHLI help me?
- Identify and manage your own leadership strengths and weaknesses for increased effectiveness
- Develop clear action plans for leadership challenges and priorities
- Improve influence skills with boards, faculty, other administrators and critical stakeholders
- Increase understanding of polarities and tensions that exist within leadership roles
- Understand the difference between change and transition and how to better navigate change in the midst of uncertainty
The fee of $6,250 includes all program activities, executive coaching, and on-demand leadership resources. Travel-related costs to in-person sessions are not included.
ASPPH is offering 50% tuition deferment to 2020, and a limited number of scholarship opportunities. Please contact Rita Kelliher, Chief Academic Officer for more information at 202-296-1099 x141, email@example.com.
For more information, please email APHLI@aspph.org.
ASPPH has partnered with The Center for Creative Leadership for program direction and technical assistance. The Center for Creative Leadership is a global provider of executive education that develops better leaders through its focus on leadership education, research, and expertise in solving the leadership challenges of individuals and organizations.