Connect

Member Research and Reports

Member Research and Reports

Harvard Explores Role of Lung Lesions in Tuberculosis

For years scientists have sought to unravel the mystery of why about 90 percent of people infected by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacteria that cause tuberculosis (TB), remain symptom-free for years, while the remaining 10 percent become sick and may die. A December 15, 2013 study in Nature Medicine by Dr. Sarah Fortune, the Melvin J. and Geraldine L. Glimcher associate professor of immunology and infectious diseases at Harvard School of Public Health and University of Pittsburgh researchers revealed new findings about lung lesions in laboratory animals with TB that may help guide scientists seeking to better understand the disease.